Friday 25 January 2013

Tara King Th.

In the summer of 2000 Saloon toured the UK with a little known band called Curtis Newton. It was a tour most notably remembered through the Resonances 7” single and the epic live version of ‘Girls are the new boys’ which was on our website for ages (and featured additional guitars from Arno Curtis Newton and Jason Kolb of Auburn Lull

The plan had been that Saloon would put Curtis Newton on in the UK and then we would tour France with them later that year. Sadly the France tour never happened (although not due to Curtis Newton’s part). We didn’t hear much from them afterwards, but Arno did send me a CD of his new ‘solo’ project; Tara King Th.

I thought the album was OK, it was lot less organic than Curtis Newton and not really what I was into at the time and as such they kind of dropped off my radar. Until today that is. I stumbled across a Tara King Th. video on the internet and it would seem in the last 10 years or they have turned into quite a band.

They have released three albums the aforementioned Sequence 01 (2003), The Tara King Theory (2005) and Extravagant, Grotesque & Nonchalant (2010) along with a ton of EPs and singles. I have been listening to the 2010 album all day on Spotify and it’s really nice; it has a lovely warm 60’s style with vocals very akin also to Helen from Ladytron. The final track ‘Talking too loud’ is perhaps the only thing reminiscent of Curtis Newton (at their most psychedelic).

Anyway hopefully I have managed to link to the video for ‘Magnetic Bounds’ (2012) which comes from a really strong  4 track EP. It is very Broadcast-like in sound, mainly because it is reminiscent of Old Man Willow from the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack (which surely must have been a major influence on the early Broadcast sound, I know Mike and I loved this track).




Am I the only person who has missed out on this? Anyway I hope you enjoy this track and go and buy their records (preferably in HMV, they could do with the money.)

No comments:

Post a Comment